Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Presidential Debates

With today being the start of the presidential debates for this election cycle, their validity and importance has been discussed recently.

I have heard, today in particular, that it's nothing but a show of who can best present their prepared lines. [Aside: although I have to admit, that the Onion's article on it is hilarious.]

But you know what? These prepared lines HAVE to include their vision, their stances, and what sets them apart from the opposing candidate in some way or form.

And that's what the undecided voters who are tuning in are looking for, aren't they? The democrats are more likely than not going to vote democrat and likewise for the republicans. It's the undecided voters that will ultimately decide the election.

It's not like the rest of the campaign season where the candidates can just bash their opponent, or sideline from the questions asked about the real issues. I'd like to think that the moderator will hold them accountable during these debates.

Because you know what? The American public deserves answers.

Not just the undecided voters. I am know who I am voting for, but that doesn't mean I know what the next four years will hold or that I don't have questions.

Oh, one last thing. If this election really is going to be based off of the question "are you better off than you were four years ago?" as these news journalists keep emphasizing from the Romney campaign... then, I don't even know what to say. I don't think it takes much more than common sense to realize that four years ago we were dealing with the aftermath of a presidency that left the country in turmoil financially and otherwise. It's not like Day 1 of the Barack Obama presidency is where all the issues started. They have built up over time.

And you what, I AM better off than I was four years ago.

I am still covered under my dad's healthcare plan. Four years ago, without Obama's healthcare plan, that wouldn't be the case. And if it wasn't, I can't even imagine how much in debt I'd be because of the curve balls life has thrown my way this past year.

Now off to watch the first debate, one dealing with domestic issues. As you can imagine, healthcare and employment is on the top of my list of issues I care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails