Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Options

Apparently nowadays, everyone's favorite question to ask me is: "so what are you doing nowadays?" or "so what are you going to do now?" when they learn that I'm not going for the whole law school route (at least for now).

As simple as that question is, it is driving me absolutely INSANE (that's the nice way to put it).

Um, if I knew, I would tell you.

You know how they always tell you to have a back up plan? Yeah, well I didn't.
  
Since I always thought/assumed I'd be going to graduate school (law school) right after I finished my undergraduate years at Rutgers, I didn't even bother to get a jump-start in worrying about finding a job in this horrible job market... because trust me... it's beyond horrible. It seems like all I do these days is search for jobs online nowadays and its getting tiring fast.

So lesson learned people - KEEP YOUR OPTIONS OPEN!!! I can't stress that enough. Know what you want, that is for sure, but have a back up plan.

Don't just assume you'll deal with it when the time comes.

Don't just assume things will work out the way you want. Hopefully it will, but you just never know.

Just last night (when I was wide awake until 4:30 A.M.) I was thinking that this coming fall will be the first time in eighteen years that I won't be going back to school. Usually my schedule has always been so hectic with a full load of classes and work along with other commitments, that I can't even begin to tell you how weird this all is. As crazy and hectic as it always got, when I think of it, that's how I like it - I HATE just sitting  around at home and having so much free time... I'm just not used it!

Keep your options open... can't stress that enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's Sarwat Baji! Aww Summaiyyah, I just read this post! Don't think of it as being a bad thing to have some time to breath, sometimes we need that, trust me! I've been working non-stop since I was 16 and it's great (Alhumdulillah not complaining), but it catches up with you. Now that I look back, it would have been great to have some time to think about what I actually wanted to do and wanted from life - plus trust me there are so many volunteer organizations that could use help from someone as articulate and smart as you! Although I'm not sure why you aren't going the law school route any more but what about volunteering with some women's shelters? Helping them prepare paper work relating to divorce or immigration or whatever their worries may be. Or consider volunteering at your local mosque as a tutor or teaching. Trust me, there are hundreds of roles out there for you waiting, unfortunately they may not be paid for now.

Call me, or better yet come see me and we can discuss an action plan for the interim :)...

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails