Thursday, July 14, 2011

On Our Way to Texas

After months and months of planning, our trip to Texas is finally here!

Ironically, my uncle lived in Dallas for years, and always called all of our extended family to visit… and my brother, one of my cousins, and I were the only ones to go visit him now. My uncle just moved from there last month, and the WHOLE family is going to Dallas now.

It’s a family reunion of sorts… in a completely random area… because my cousin is getting married! Sitting here, at Newark airport, because yes, we arrived way too early anticipating both traffic on the way and long lines inside. Luckily, we got neither.

For the longest time, we weren’t sure who from our family would end up going because my mom just didn’t want to fly while my brothers and I didn’t want to drive (it’s TWO LONG DAYS WORTH OF DRIVING to get there). I was put to ease a few months ago when we finally booked our flights, etc.

I gotta say, I know the media over dramatizes everything… but boy did they do so for airport check-points. I don’t know if it was just a random occurrence (I’ll have to update after our trip back home), but it was like when we traveled before in the past. Take your shoes off, put your stuff through the scanners, walk through the metal detector. Simple, and easy. The only different thing was that the lady told me she would need to pat my hair down because I wore a hijab. Before I even put my stuff down though, she told me, so it wasn’t a big deal. Then she told ME to pat MYSELF down. Like come on, WHY are people complaining and making such a big deal out of nothing? If anything, people should be willing to go through extra security to ensure a safe flight, no?

Anyhow, back to our trip… besides all the wedding events and festivities of course, I am looking forward to going back to the Sixth Floor Museum and hopefully some other tourist spots. Not sure what there is exactly to see there, but if you have suggestions – I’d love to hear them!

Will update later, about to board for our flight! Most likely, I won't update until at least our flight back home.

 P.S. Don't forget to leave me a comment below on your thoughts! As always, I'd love to hear from you.

3 comments:

Rhonda Albom said...

I hope you are having a wonderful family reunion. :)

Summaiyah Hyder said...

Thanks! It was a lot of fun, but ridiculously hot!

Misha said...

Have fun!

About the security, I've heard some pretty bad horror stories so it musn't be as bad where you were. I suppose it depends on the rush/crowds at the airports as well, no?

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails